9.09.2009

Back to School!

My darling children went back to school. This is a bittersweet time for me. I love having them home and due to Matt's illness I feel like we got jipped on a whole month of summer. So weirdly enough I was not ready for them to start again. It seemed too soon! But now that we are in week 2 it feels good to get back in the swing of things. Routine, homework, bedtimes, meals every night together...you know, regular stuff that I'm sure most of you do all year long. It's hard for me to stick with a routine for very long. This is a smidgen of an adjustment period for all of us.

They started Monday August 31st and since we live a half a block from the school we all rode our bikes together. The kids are placing bets on how many days in a row Mom (that's me) wakes up and takes them to school either by walking, bike or car. Ren thinks I might last a month. Elsie thinks it could be a couple of weeks. They know me well! So far it's been 100% for me. Yay! Anymore bets on the table before I attempt to make it up and going every day for a month? I'm up for the challenge.

Here's the big man at our house. Lorenzo aka Ren started 4th grade. His teacher is Mrs. Hilton room 14. He is excited to be back in school yet both he and I are LOATHING the homework load each night. Come on! Can't kids still be kids these days? He's doing great so far thank goodness. Smart little guy! I had to explain that even though it's taking forever to finish it all at least he understands it. Gots to look on the bright side, right?



And Miss Elsie began 2nd grade with Mrs. Sonderland, room 3. She is the same teacher Lorenzo had in 2nd grade so we are thrilled about that. Elsie Jewel LOVES school and enjoys learning and being there and reading and pretty much everything. Some how though she seems to have "school Elsie" and 'Home Elsie." School Elsie is an angel and never talks back and is always helpful. Home Elsie is capable of all those things but apparently I'm not as intimidating as the principal and she's comfortable with being naughty and a tease here. No, she's a sweetie too. Just sweet AND sassy!

Welcome back to school kids! I do love being a stay-at-home Mom and frankly don't know how I would handle juggling 2 kids a household a husband, church callings, friends, family and volunteering if I also had a full time job outside the home. I don't know how I ever did it when I was a single parent. Glad that's over. I love that I have Matt as my hubby and support system. Life doesn't seem as overwhelming with a team mate. Kudos to all you working and/or single parents out there. I give you props and I'm amazed.

I'm keeping plenty busy and sometimes wish we could slow down again and return to summer. School also means the crazy TCYSA soccer fun has begun. The things we do for our children. They love it though, and so I sacrifice. Plus they're so darn good at it. Farewell free Saturdays and school nights. We're in it for the long haul. "Back to school, back to school. To prove to Daddy that I'm not a fool." (thank you Adam Sandler) I think of that song every school year. =)!

p.s. I swear I was so much older in 4th grade and even 2nd grade. What the deal????




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow,those two are almost as old as me! I know I was much older than them when I was in school.I'm so glad all is well at your house.Keep up the good work!Love to all,Mom

Crystal said...

They are going up so fast. I am glad they like their new classes. They look so cute.

Brittany said...

"Back to school is the most wonderful time of the year" (You know that Staples commercial with the excited Dad and not so excited kids) I love that one! Keep it up with the bike rides, my hope is to do the same. I'm just waiting for it to cool down ;)