10.01.2009

The Broken Wrist of The Boy


Yup. He did it. First broken bone in the Morrow home. And last right? Funny I know. We all went to Nothing But Noodles on Monday night September 21st for dinner and then Matt took the kiddos to the skate park for the rest or our FHE. Ren (who was wearing a helmet by the way so this is a proud Daddy Matt moment for him) went up and down a one too many times. On the way down he fell backwards and his right wrist broke his fall. OUCH! I wasn't feeling too hot that night so I was at home chillin after dinner. But this is the call I get: Matt--"Hey Hon. We're on our way home now.... uh, can you get some ice ready for Lorenzo?" Me--"What? Why? What happened?" He then explains Ren's plight. Poor guy!

It was a hard night on Ren and I felt so bad that I could not ease his pain! We took him into the ER the next morning because we didn't think it was broken. They told us it was fractured in 2 spots and he'd need a cast. But the "we can make a cast" people couldn't get us in till Thursday morning. They wanted to make sure his swelling went down. He's a tougher kid than I thought he was. Once his cast was on he felt much better.


He has issues with food and tastes and such and things in his mouth. We've never been able to get him to take ANY medicine. But this pain must have been pretty bad because he actually swallowed Tylenol. Huge applause for Ren!!! You might not know how big of a miracle this is. But I'm super duper proud of him. So if anything good can come out of this that's gotta be it. Oh, and I got to spend some one on one time with him for a few days which was happiness for me.


He chose a "camo" cast. Thought he wanted Red the night before but when he saw the "camo" color his mind. Good choice!

Cool cast huh? It's been 1 full week since he's had it on and he's doing great. It was rough getting back to school when he was still so sore but now he's getting used to it. At least he's a Lefty and can still write. This must be a 9 year old thing because he's the third kid in his grade right now with a broken wrist. Beware 9 year olds, maybe it's a curse!! Eek :)!

2 comments:

Costner Family said...

Cool cast!! I work for orthopedics and we don't have the cool "camo". I will have to let them know! Yes, I think I am very lucky cuz w/ Parker's skating I am just waiting for the day! At least I work there! HAHAH!! Take care Ren, heal fast!!!

Shannon said...

Hi Alicia! I found your blog through Jaime's. How are you doing? Your family is so cute! My little girl just broke her arm too. Such a bummer!