I am blessed to be a part of this amazing Christmas choir every holiday
season. What began as a simple Relief Society choir singing a
Christmas Concert in 2007 expanded into an entire stake wide Relief
Society Christmas Choir running for 7 seasons! It went from our own
ward, to a few wards, to a few more wards, and now has been extended to
the entire Stake. And since the Stake was split last year we even have a
few from the new stake who joined our choir. It began as maybe 30
voices and is now at about 100. The 2 sisters in charge, Rachel and
Marrianne who run this and put their heart and soul into it have amazing
talents and are truly inspired to help us be able to sing praises
through music. Each year has evolved into something more to meet the
needs of the sisters. This year they set aside a few minutes at the
end of each weekly practice to have a devotional. I've loved it! We've
been practicing since October. It's organized so that everybody takes a
turn watching the kiddos in the 2 nurseries once. We even have sisters
who aren't singing in the choir who volunteer to watch the kiddos as
acts of service. Through this and other kind acts the choir can come
together. A huge group of Latter Day Saint women who yearn to share
their testimonies through song at the best time of year. I wish I had a
recording of us and some actual pictures of us performing....maybe I
can get Matt to take some pictures this year.
Tonight
we sang with the communities Organ Guild. It's a performance where
various churches and church choirs come together as a community and put
on a Christmas concert. I love being a part of it. Then at the end of
the evening all of the individual choirs who performed come together and
sings Handel's, Hallelujah Chorus. It's amazing! Many different
faiths with differences but one common belief united in singing praises
to Christ and sharing the Christmas spirit with our entire community.
This is my friend Amy and I sneaking a quick picture before we perform.
Can
I tell you how much I love music? How much I love Christmas music,
especially!?! I really do. One of my favorite pieces this season is
this one:
Come to Jesus
Come to Jesus when you hunger for a feast that satisfies.
Come to Jesus when you wonder why your spirit's running dry.
He will feed you from his table, living water he will pour,
Till you're filled with bread of life, and your soul will thirst no more.
So, if you hunger, come, come to Jesus.
Come to Jesus when you wonder why your spirit's running dry.
He will feed you from his table, living water he will pour,
Till you're filled with bread of life, and your soul will thirst no more.
So, if you hunger, come, come to Jesus.
Come to Jesus when you're weary of the burdens you must bear.
Come to Jesus when you're fearful and your heart is in despair.
He will ease the load you carry, by the power of His hand.
Come to Jesus when you're fearful and your heart is in despair.
He will ease the load you carry, by the power of His hand.
As you lean on Him for strength you will find that you can stand.
So, if you're weary, come, come to Jesus.
Come and claim the Savior's grace.
Seek for Him, and you will find yourself in His embrace.
Come to Jesus when you're ready for a sweeter way of life.
Come to Jesus when you're heading down a pathway with no light.
He will take your sin and weakness, and will wash away the shame.
He will take your sin and weakness, and will wash away the shame.
He will purify your heart, and you will never be the same.
So, if you're ready, come, come to Jesus.
So, if you're ready, come, come to Jesus.
--Lynne Christofferson
Another
piece I love is "The First Noel." This has been one of my all time
favorite hymns my whole life. When Rachel and Marrianne wrote this
arrangement, I was in love with it. Gives me chills every time I sing
it.
The First Noel
The First Noel, the angel did say
Was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay,
In fields where they lay keeping their sheep
On a cold winter's night that was so deep.
Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel!
Born is the King of Israel!
They looked up and saw a star
Shining in the East beyond them far,
And to the earth it gave great light
And so it continued both day and night.
Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel!
Born is the King of Israel!
Then let us all with one accord
Sing praises to our heav'nly Lord
The pains of sin and death he fought
And with his blood mankind hath bought.
Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel!
Born is the King!
Praises we sing!
Born is the King of Israel!
Was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay,
In fields where they lay keeping their sheep
On a cold winter's night that was so deep.
Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel!
Born is the King of Israel!
They looked up and saw a star
Shining in the East beyond them far,
And to the earth it gave great light
And so it continued both day and night.
Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel!
Born is the King of Israel!
Then let us all with one accord
Sing praises to our heav'nly Lord
The pains of sin and death he fought
And with his blood mankind hath bought.
Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel!
Born is the King!
Praises we sing!
Born is the King of Israel!
This is a recording of the choir singing it last year. Seriously, I just love Christmas music.
There, you go. Your little smidget of Christmas music to start the season off right. Merry Christmas!

1 comment:
I look forward to this concert every year! Cute pictures of your family at the park!
Post a Comment