10.28.2008

You'll never believe it!



Some of you may know I have this adorable son Lorenzo who for some unknown reason has decided to only eat what seriously seems like 5 things. He slowly began eating this way when he was almost 2. And before you knew it he was set in his ways. He will eat certain grains, milk and cheese, applesauce and certain chicken strips. I can beat all of you when you complain about what your kids will and will not eat. My Renzo LOVES Wheat Chex. We call him Wheat Chex boy. He would eat it for every meal if I let him and some days I do. You know how it goes, "pick your battles." If they had a Wheat Chex amusement park I'm pretty sure Ren would live there. We've talked about what he would do if they stopped making Wheat Chex. Do you know his solution? "I'd just eat Raisin Bran or Wheaties Mom." Duh Mom! Here is his food list:


1--Wheat Chex (yes only the wheat kind), Wheaties and Raisin Bran, certain types of whole wheat bread (not white bread) certain rolls and breadsticks, some crackers (graham, townhouse, saltines) and Goldfish crackers(he calls them fishies) and Santitas and potato chips. He loves breakfast foods of pancakes and waffles, but is particular about his syrup. This is the bread category.




2--His fruit category consists of natural apple sauce. He recently began eating a slice of a peeled apple, but this is still a rarity. That's it.



3--As for meat, only chicken nuggets from Burger King or Dairy Queen and occasionally ham. Not lunch meat mind you, real ham that you cook for dinner, no skin.



4--Dairy: well he loves cheese and milk. Thank goodness. Cheese is one of his favorites. Only cheddar though.



5--Vegetables: he once tried 2 bites of a pumpkin muffin just this last September. We were stunned. And very rarely a bite of a raw baby carrot.



6--Desserts: he will have glazed donuts, yellow cupcakes with no frosting, oatmeal, sugar and snicker doodle cookies.



7--As for liquids: only water and milk. He will not eat medicine of any kind because it tastes like candy. Never drinks juice or soda or hot cocoa. It's awesome that he doesn't like lots of sugar. If he has to live on cereal I am glad it's those three! He does not like candy or chocolate or ice cream or seriously anything else sweet.

Well, we've tried a million different things to get him to eat healthy but we've come to this conclusion: He's not gonna do it till he's good and ready. Our Wheat Chex boy actually ate 1 bite of chicken for dinner tonight. I bribed him with a roll. Can't believe it worked. It usually doesn't. And then for the 2nd bite I promised to make oatmeal cookies for him after dinner. He ate the 2nd bite!!!! The excitement doesn't end there. While we were making the oatmeal cookies he said, "Can we eat the dough?" WHAT???? He has never wanted to eat the raw dough before. Elsie, Matt and I would eat the whole bowl but Ren has never joined in on the fun. I could not believe it! "Of course!" I replied in disbelief. So he and Elsie dug into the dough with bare fingers. Wonders of wonders, miracles, miracles!!!!!!!! I ran and got the camera to document this miracle in the Morrow/Harris household. Way to go REN! I'm so proud of you honey. Who knew a mom would ever be so proud of her son for eating raw cookie dough?






5 comments:

Keolani said...

That's awesome. I can identify with you about the picky eater. Worse still is that people seem to think that this one area is free game to criticize the parent "well what are YOU going to do about it?" or "Well, how long are YOU gonna let this go one." The whole thing about how a kid will eat anything if you make them is a crock. I'm glad he's branching out. Hopefully your life will soon become a lot simpler.

Anonymous said...

Go Lorenzo! Alicia, you are such a great mom. I can remember having a hatred for onions when I was a kid. So when my mom would make casseroles, she would make half with and half without onions...just for me. I was so grateful to her for doing that for me, as I am sure Lorenzo is grateful to you for not pushing stuff on him. And you know what, now I like onions.

Jaime Lynne said...

Quirky and oh, so cute! Love that you are blogging.

Gentry Family said...

That's CRAZY!!! I think it would be nice to have a kid that doesn't go NUTS for sugar!! Way to go though, eating raw cookie dough, that's some good progress!!

Anonymous said...

That is great. Way to go REN! Have you had him try Crystal Lite popsicles? Now they are awesome. My new favorite thanks to you Alicia!! Love ya