Two little stories from today:
You know how sometimes kids just know that you need a little help? Well luckily mine do at times. Today I was a little "off" and the kids could tell. I muddled through the day napping and telling my brain that it would feel better tomorrow and to hang in there. I go up and down and today was down unfortunately. So this afternoon I crashed on the couch in front of a movie. I told Ren and Els to do their 20 minutes of reading and then I would make pancakes for dinner. 20 minutes was up but I still didn't feel like moving. Then I heard two sneaky children come out of their rooms and whisper while trying not to bang around pots and pans and mixing bowls. They got out the Bisquik and milk and eggs and started the griddle. They were secretly making pancakes all on their own. I was so pleased and impressed and silently thanked the Lord. Of course at this point I had to act like I didn't know and stay on the couch till they were done. Ren and Els really do make awesome pancakes so I knew it would be a fabulous meal. After a while Els came and got me and showed me their surprise. Yippee! My kids can live up to their potential. I whipped up some hash browns and bacon and warmed the syrup. What a blessing. I'm so glad the Lord gives me moments like this so I can have hope and keep on "keeping on" and realize that sometimes my hellion children are really choice spirits deep inside. I love them dearly! Don't worry, fighting and squabbling resumed after dinner when they fought over who got to take a shower in Mom's bathroom and not the Hall bathroom. But for a moment, it was "heaven on earth" just a moment. But enough to make me smile and keep on going.
Story #2:
So after dinner and showers I was feeling courageous or maybe just hopeful that we reinstate Family Home Evening "with a lesson." And so, we attempted Family Night tonight. I use the word attempt because it never goes as planned and sometimes the spirit just hovers and doesn't get a chance to stay very long. Yelling, tattling, annoying each other, fighting, these are all words to describe Family Night at our home lately. Well tonight I was lucky. No, there was still the usual chaos but I did feel the spirit. Wonders of wonders. We sang the Spanish version of "I am A Child of God" which welcomed the spirit. And something must have sunk in because during our lesson about the 12 tribes being scattered and the restoration of the 10 tribes we talked about why and how. Ren and Els wanted to know why people kept fighting over the same land. Why did they not get along? That lead to a discussion about wars and all wars and even the current war in Iraq. But Elsie asked the most poignant simple question that we should all ask ourselves. In referring to the wars about the Holy Land she asked, "Why don't they just share Mom?" I nominated her for President right then and there. It's that simple. Why don't they just share? Why don't we all just share? What a smart little girl. Imaging a world where we all "just shared."
Two special day to day events that made me smile even though I didn't want to. Small acts of kindness and sharing. What could be a better philosophy of life than that? I love you Ren and Elsie. Thank you for being my kids..... and now I get to make sure they stay in bed and go to sleep. Back to the grindstone.
3 comments:
oohhh Those are great Alicia!
Thanks for sharing!
I was in the same boat last week....I had a horrendous week....but there was light at the end of the tunnel and it wasn't a train! WOOHOO!
:bighug:
It is great that you are writing this down. You have some very choice spirits in your home, to be sure.
Dear Alicia&family,You are always so entertaining.Thanks for the updates & the cute video.Of course your kids are special, they have you for a Mom!You have always been extra special!So, hang in there,it could be worse but not a ****of a lot.Right? I love you all lot's!Give everyone a hug,especially YOU!Love,Mom
Post a Comment